What to do when close() fails? - (nf)

jh at pcsbst jh at pcsbst
Fri Feb 12 18:30:00 AEST 1988

Freeing the file descriptor is the first job done
by the UNIX SVR3 close() system call. Thus, you may reuse
it. Whatever happens else is the responsibility of the kernel.

Since I have seem some code in which u.u_error was tested in the kernel
[ after some operations like bread() ] I would strictly advise
against a driver close function to return an error code!
If the error condition is severe I would recommend a console
message from inside the kernel.

Note, that the close() code is protected from signals.

	Johannes Heuft
	unido!pcsbst!jh