reusing passwords

Evan Schaffer evan at saturn.ucsc.edu
Thu Feb 18 13:00:59 AEST 1988

>In article <2500 at codas.att.com> mikel at codas.att.com (Mikel Manitius) writes:
>>We soon learned that often over-anxious users type their password at
>>the login prompt, resulting it it's showing up on the console.
>
>That is true, but in the case of VAX/VMS, you don't have to
>accidentally type your password at the "Username:" prompt for it to
>appear on the console.  It's enough to be unable to log in a number of
>times, and this helpful operating system will make a console record of
>the username *and* the password that were typed.
>--
>Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

You must have a very strange version of VMS.  Harvey Mudd College has
several VMS systems, and a casual look at the login records on the
console shows no sign of the user's passwords being printed out.

|        Michael Wolf                | An old Scandinavian quote:            |
|  BITNET: wolf at ucscj.BITNET         |   "You can lead a herring to water,   |
|  ARPA:   wolf at ssyx.ucsc.edu        |    but you have to walk real fast,    |
|  UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!wolf   |    or else he'll die."                |