AT&T/Sun merged UNIX

Keith Bostic bostic at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Feb 24 08:25:30 AEST 1988

In article <1645 at winchester.mips.COM>, mash at mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:

> Some of this might be rewriting history: I was under the impression that
> a number of people had contributed to 4.X BSD, and in fact, had included some
> people who at the time worked for DEC.  I also thought DEC contributed in
> other ways; could somebody closer to this clarify that impression?

Bill Joy had a great deal to do with 4.2BSD, my understanding (worth what
you're paying for it, I wasn't there) is that much of the design was his,
and the implementation was done with Sam Leffler.  He had little, if any,
direct input into 4.3BSD.

DEC has contributed the full-time services of four people, at various times,
to the BSD effort; both DEC and SUN have made significant contributions to
BSD software.

--keith