Ultrix -> Xenix/386 uucp problem

Robert Alan Johnson raj at spl1.UUCP
Wed Feb 3 15:00:39 AEST 1988

>From article <9384 at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, by davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr):
> In article <192 at conexch.UUCP> root at conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) writes:
> | [... my BSD to Xenix/386 problem ...]
> | As I recall, Xenix' stty sane defaults to 8 bit no parity.  This causes the
> | Ultrix machine to get a garbled password.  Try adding CS7 PARENB to the
> | inital and secondary flags in /etc/gettydefs.  It worked for me.
>
>   I am willing to believe that there is a parity problem, however I am
> still looking for a useful solution. If I set default parity to even
> everything else will go to hell. I can't afford to tie up one more line
> just to let calls come in from one system.

I don't seem to understand your problem!  As I remarked in my previous
reply I've seen this problem alot!  I also tried to solve it on my end
by setting the gettydefs stuff to appropriate values, but it seems to
me that you've got it backward.  The systems which call you can *EASILY*
alter their L.sys chat scripts to call your system in a no parity mode.

I feed news to over 15 sites, with the most diverse mix of machines
you can imagine (We still have quite a few feed slots available including
both Trailblazer and Courrier HST high speed links for anyone interested.)
I've seen this parity problem *CONSISTANTLY* on the following:

	Sun 2 and 3
	Encore
	DEC/ULTRIX

It seems to be related to the BSD4.2 uucico!

In the systems which call me they simply put either P_0 or P_ZERO in their
L.sys (depending on their uucp flavor) entry and the problem is *CURED*
simply, quickly with no compromise on my system.  Why are you fighting it on
your end?

Bob Johnson
The Software Public Library
...ihnp4!spl1!raj