Terminal emulators for cu (me too)

Lee McLoughlin lmjm at doc.ic.ac.uk
Mon Feb 29 00:38:58 AEST 1988

>The pproblem that I am facing is that the computer that I am calling is a DEC
>machine that is running some strange operating system that I have NO ideas
>on how to get around. The operators up there assured me that they cannot change
>the modem ports just for little ole me and that the terminal interfacing roblem
>was mine to deal with... Oh well...
>
>Any more ideas?

I once had to connect to a DEC machine running VMS that seemed fixated
on vt100 terminals.  I was stuck on a tvi920 (or somesuch).  I found a
program called vtem, I think, which made whatever terminal you were on
emulate a vt100 by interpreting all output and converting it using
termcap/curses.  It spawned a shell internally.  I then used to run it
then call cu.  Seemed to work ok.

I can't find my sources for vtem anymore.  But I dare say a request on
the net..

You'll then have all the fun of making it emulate the terminal you
want :-).

	Lee.

--
UKUUCP SUPPORT  Lee McLoughlin
	"What you once thought was only a nightmare is now a reality!"

Janet: lmjm at uk.ac.ic.doc, lmcl at uk.ac.ukc
DARPA: lmjm at doc.ic.ac.uk (or lmjm%uk.ac.ic.doc at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk)
Uucp:  lmjm at icdoc.UUCP, ukc!icdoc!lmjm