Shared Memory in BSD4.3 is lacking?

Bill.Stewart wcs at ho95e.ATT.COM
Fri Feb 26 10:04:00 AEST 1988

In article <2329 at umd5.umd.edu> chris at trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
:Anyway, BSD does not have System V style shared memory (which might
:more accurately be called `USG 3.0 style shared memory') because
:System V shared memory is wrong.  (Now there is a good flammable
:statement for you :-) )

Ok, I'll flame!  What's wrong with System V shared memory?
I agree that the user interface is annoying, having chosen
clunky-but-general over cleaner-but-less-general, but that's not a
major loss.  (At least it's less annoying than semaphores.)

So what's missing, or otherwise brain-damaged?  Much of the problem
with the interface is that your program has to find and hook up to
shared memory somehow, and the shared memory has to be able to
stick around when unused.  The magic cookie approach seems
reasonable.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs