Motorola Sys V help

Ron Heiby heiby at mcdchg.UUCP
Wed Feb 17 05:09:56 AEST 1988

ftw at datacube.UUCP writes:
> As a side note, I have heard from a Motorola FAE that shared memory under
> R3V3 is broken in some significant fashion.  He was not able to tell me
> exactly how; only that it is broken.  Funny part is that it seems to work
> well for me.  Can anyone confirm or deny shared memory bugs in this version?

The only "shared memory" bug I am aware of is actually in the "ipcs" command.
(You know, the one that tells you what ipc facilities are in use.)  Under
some circumstances, ipcs under System V/68 R3v3 will report shared memory
that does not exist any more.  This was to be fixed in the next release, but
by the time we found out about it, R3v4 was just about out the door.  So,
I don't know if it's in v4 or not, but it will be fixed in R3v5, for sure.
In any event, shared memory works correctly.

The only other problem I've heard of was with a customer who created far
more shared memory segments than he had physical memory, then wondered why
the cpu was spending so much time "doing nothing", when it was actually
spending a great deal of time waiting for shared memory segments to move
between main memory and the swap device.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby at mcdchg.UUCP	Moderator: comp.newprod & comp.unix
"Intel architectures build character."