Dialin/outs on VAX-11/780 running 4.3 BSD with NFS.

Brad Rhoades brad at mmm.UUCP
Fri Feb 19 09:34:24 AEST 1988

	I am interested in knowing if anyone has added a modem to a
	VAX running 4.3 BSD that functions as a dialup and dialout.
	I have added a modem to a Sun system that allows the one modem
	to work as a dialup and a dialout by setting the major number
	and minor number to a particular value that will allow the
	same particular port to function as a dialup and dialout.
	For instance, in my case I made a new device file for the
	same port.  /dev/ttya was major number 12, minor number 0;
	I made device /dev/cua0 with major number 12, minor number 128.
	I changed ownership to the right owner, added a getty to the
	appropriate device and ... it worked.  Of course I did have
	to enable hardware flow control for the port.

	I have spent some time digging in the source of conf.c to
	determine the correct value for the minor number of this
	additional device for a BSD system on the VAX, but cannot
	distinguish it.  If anyone has done this or knows the
	correct minor number to do this (assuming it is possible at
	all), or just has some insight as to how I might determine
	this number, any assistance would be greatly appreciated?