Undocumented ex/vi options

Dave Decot decot at hpisod2.HP.COM
Mon Feb 29 08:39:35 AEST 1988

> Does anyone know what the "sourceany", "tagstack" and "timeout"
> options of ex/vi do?  I have found "sourceany" and "timeout"
> in 4.3 BSD and "tagstack" only in Sun Unix 3.2.  None of them
> are in the 4.3 BSD documentation.  I haven't had a chance to
> look in the Sun docs.

Some guesses in order of certainty:

    tagstack

	 Controls (whether there is a, the size of the?) stack of tags
	 in use.  There are probably additional commands called
	 :push and :pop.  :push is used like :tag, except that
	 it also pushes the most recently used tag position onto
	 the top of the tag stack.  :pop pops the tag stack and restores
	 the top tag position.

    timeout
	 Controls whether multi-character input sequences are
	 converted to their mapping (see :map and :map!)?

    sourceany
	 Controls whether vi/ex will read .exrc in the current directory?

Dave Decot
hpda!decot