ARPANET Access

Bob Larson blarson at skat.usc.edu
Fri Feb 19 14:03:56 AEST 1988

In article <305 at mergvax.UUCP> rkxyv at mergvax.UUCP (Robert Kedoin) writes:
>I don't think this is the "right" newsgrooup to post this in

Probably comp.protocols.tcp-ip, but they won't need my answer...

>How does one go about getting on the ARPAnet ?

Before worrying about hardware and software needs, talk to your U.S.
Dept. of Defence contacts about if they would be willing to sponsor
you.  (It is the DEFENCE advanced research program agency network.)

>The reason for wanting ARPA access is that I keep seeing many programs
>that are available via "anonymous FTP".  I DO NOT know how to get
>these files from my site which is only on USENET (if in fact it is
>possible.)

Ah, there is a much easier and cheaper solution if this is all you want.
>From what I understand, uunet has something set up so they will uucp
files ftped from arpanet to their customers on request.  Contact
uunet!uunet and ask if they do this and how you sign up.
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson at Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson at skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson
Prime mailing list:	info-prime-request%fns1 at ecla.usc.edu
			oberon!fns1!info-prime-request