AT&T/Sun merged UNIX

Duncan C White dcw at doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu Feb 18 07:19:41 AEST 1988

In article <632 at kuling.UUCP> martin at kuling.UUCP (Per-Erik Martin) writes:
*In article <262 at csed-47.csed-1.UUCP> roskos at csed-1.UUCP (Eric Roskos) writes:
*>
*>One thing to realize is that a standard that is too large and complex is
*>not likely to be accepted.  If standards are to tell people how to build
*>something (rather than just telling them to accept some existing product
*>as the standard), they have to be simple enough for people to be able
*>to build things to meet the standard.
*>
*
*On the other hand, too small a standard is not accepted as is.
*People start to ship standard products with non-standard extensions
*so we end up with a multitude of almost compatible implementations.
*A standard must be *large* enough to be accepted as it is.
*

I am reminded of Albert Einstein's famous suggestion:

	Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler...

>--
>((Per-Erik Martin, Computing Science Dept., Uppsala University,    )
> (Box 520, S-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden                                )
> (UUCP: martin at kuling.UUCP  (...!{seismo,mcvax}!enea!kuling!martin)))

	Duncan