Use of select in NeWS.

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.SGI.COM
Sat Feb 27 05:55:54 AEST 1988

In article <3189 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, wesommer at athena.mit.edu (William Sommerfeld) writes:

> Perhaps they weren't _that_ concerned with portability, or else they
> wanted to make sure than NeWS ran better on their hardware than on
> anything else (so everyone buys their hardware to get the best
> version..).
>
> 					- Bill

Our getdtablesize() returns 100.  The select code in NeWS took all of
half-an-hour to change.  It would have been nice if we hadn't had to
change it but it appears that the Sun OS hadn't yet learned about the
4.3 enhancements when NeWS 1.0 was written.  Given that, I'd say the
reality was the reverse of your statement.  NeWS may run better on other
vendors hardware.
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at sgi.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl,sun}!sgi!msc
"There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."