Unix on a VAXCluster ??

Jeff Siegal jbs at eddie.MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 28 06:37:42 AEST 1988

In article <2359 at umd5.umd.edu> chris at trantor.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>The next major release of Ultrix (3.0) is supposed to support
>clusters.  (Never having used VMS clusters before, I am curious as
>to why one would not want to `break up the cluster'.  What exactly
>does using VMS cluster hardware buy you over using 4BSD networking,
>aside from `well we already have it so we want to use it' [valid,
>but to me irrelevant]?)

If by 4BSD networking you mean Ethernet, "cluster hardware" or CI, is
much faster.  Also, it lets you hook up to DEC's HSC70 (or the slower
HSC50) mass storage controller.  I don't know if this will apply to
Ultrix users, though, since the HSC70 somehow provides support for the
VMS (Files-11) file system (or does/will Ultrix support mounting a F11
disk?).

Jeff Siegal