Dealing with dial-up lines

Kevin Cosgrove 627-5212 kevinc at bearcat.lim.tek.com
Tue Feb 23 08:43:29 AEST 1988

> When a person dials in over a modem line, and then hangs up without
> logging off, the computer should know enough to kill those processes,
> right? (It should get a hangup signal?). Could someone suggest why on
> my 4.3 system, peoples jobs would be just staying around, and the next
> person that dials in to the same modem will come in in the middle of a
> session?
>
> 					Xev Gittler
> 					xev at hstbme.mit.edu, or
> 					xev at athena.mit.edu

Our hardware provides the capability to logout on hangup.  But, I had to
make sure my ~/.login file included the following in order to get processes
to let go.

stty hup -nohang

Portions of the 'stty' manual pages are below for consideration.

* stty - set terminal options
*
* hup      When "stdout" associated with this process is closed for
*          the last time, hang up the terminal.
*
* nohang   Don't send hangup signal if carrier drops.
*
* -nohang  Send hangup signal to control process group when carrier drops.

dis-claimer, dat-claimer, da-udder-claimer....

	Kevin Cosgrove           	Tektronix, Inc.
	11K Plug-Ins Project Leader	PO Box 500, M/S 47-092
	LIM Product Test Engineering 	Beaverton, OR  97077
	kevinc at bearcat.LIM.TEK.COM	(503)-627-5212