SUN level zero backup

David N. Blank dnb at brandeis.csnet
Mon Feb 1 19:16:41 AEST 1988

Greetings,

  I have a "What if..." question that you might be able to help me
with.  Currently, we do level zero backups for our twelve odd SUN (2/3)
workstations (running NFS) over our ethernet (via rmt) to our standard
DEC tape drives residing on a VAX.  This takes an eternity (ok, maybe
not an eternity, but it is a good six+ hour job) during which all of
the workstations must remain idle.  Surely there must be a better way.
One way might be to hook up (while doing the backup) one of the DEC
tape drives directly to a sun, but I am unsure of the feasibility of
this alternative.  Is this possible?  What hardware/connectors would I
need for this?  Thanks for your help.

          Peace,
             David N. Blank (dnb at brandeis.csnet | blank at brandeis.bitnet)
             Assistant SysAdmin