automatic mail reply

Ed Schwalenberg Ed at mead.scrc.symbolics.com
Wed Feb 24 04:14:11 AEST 1988

    Date: 22 Feb 88 12:08:20 PST (Mon)
    From: Kevin Cosgrove 627-5212 <kevinc at bearcat.lim.tek.com>

    John,

    > I just sent mail to someone and got a (generic) reply immediately.
    > When I did a finger on the person, I noticed they hadn't logged on
    > since yesterday.
    >
    > She is on vacation (so I can't ask her how she did it).
    >
    > Does anyone know how to set up an account to automatically send a reply
    > without having to log on?
    >
    > John L Bergquist
    >
    >       ->bard   ->c164-2ag
    > ucbvax->zooey  ->c162-ba
    >       ->franny ->c8-rd
    >       ->seymour->c9d-af

    It sounds like you have 'vacation' installed on your system.  What 'vacation'
    does is send the mail on to the mail spool while sending notification of
    the recipient's absence to the originator.  It's great for when one leaves
    town and can't get to their mail right away.

    If yours works like ours, then an entry of the following in your ~/.forward
    file will work fine -- of course you'll have to change the "kevinc" to your
    login name.

    \kevinc, "|vacation kevinc"

    If that doesn't work, you might try consulting the manual pages for 'mhook'
    and 'vacation'.  I haven't had to resort the 'mhook' approach since
    the 'vacation' scheme works so well for me.