4.3 BSD stty stop and Graphon terminals

Roy Smith roy at phri.UUCP
Sat Feb 20 14:10:15 AEST 1988

In article <2012 at saturn.ucsc.edu> haynes at ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) writes:
> Using Graphon go-140 or go-100 terminals with our 4.3BSD system:
> when we change the stop character from ctrl-S to something else
> with the stty command, stty all shows the stop character changed.
> Yet the new stop character doesn't stop input, and ctrl-S does.

	The problem has nothing to do with 4.3BSD, it's completely
brain-damage in the GO-1X0.  Depending on the setup mode you are in, when
you hit ^S on the keyboard, not only does the ^S get sent out the serial
port, but the terminal locks the screen until you type ^Q on the keyboard!
This is severe and utter brain-damage (shared by those horrible DEC VT-220
terminals, and probably most VT-220 clones).  We used to have a GO-140
here, and found it almost impossible to use with emacs for exactly this
reason.  Our solution was to turn off XON/XOFF mode in the terminal and run
it at 4800 baud with lots of padding so it never needed flow control.

	Other than the totaly inexcusable XON/XOFF bug, I think the GO-140
is a pretty neat terminal (but with a yucko keyboard).  In it's day, it was
a great bargain for a VT-100/TEK-4010 emulator.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016