Why no trailers in network ifconfig?

Kurt Zeilenga kurt at hi.unm.edu
Sun Feb 14 02:05:47 AEST 1988

Bob Weissman writes:
>In "rc.local" files distributed with new systems, I always see
>"-trailers" in "ifconfig" statements.  Why is this?  Aren't
>trailers a Good Thing?
>
>We're talking about Vaxen & Suns here, running 4.2 and 4.3 BSD.

Since there are many systems that can NOT run trailers at this time,
it is VERY wise to only run trailers on systems that do trailer
arbitration.  4.3 BSD based systems do this, 4.2 BSD based don't.

Even if every existing system ran trailers, I would only enable them
on 4.3 based systems.  You never know what the guy down the hall is
going to put on the network....

--
	Kurt (zeilenga at hc.dspo.gov)