Very raw sockets

Chris Torek chris at trantor.umd.edu
Sun Feb 21 00:40:40 AEST 1988

In article <164600009 at uiucdcsb> yang at uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>I was wondering if anyone out there knows if you can create a raw socket
>that talks directly to the ethernet interface.

Use AF_DLI, the Data Link Interface layer.  Of course, it is not
implemented.  (Oh well.)

>The project group I'm in is trying to bypass the IP layer on a Sun-2,
>but we don't want to hack the kernel....

If you are running SunOS 3.2 or later, look up `NIT' (Network
Interface Tap) in the manuals.  NIT exists in 3.0 but is largely
broken there.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Computer Science, +1 301 454 7163
(hiding out on trantor.umd.edu until mimsy is reassembled in its new home)