autobaud(8) problems

Mark Ehr mehr at polygon.UUCP
Wed Jul 20 07:37:40 AEST 1988

I am using autobaud, which is a public domain program which I obtained from
the uunet public domain archives, as a replacement for getty(8) on my MicroVAX
II running 4.3 BSD Unix.

For those of you unfamiliar with this program, it uses an automatic baud rate
detection algorithm which matches the bit pattern received from a remote
terminal (which sends a CR), and sets the baud rate accordingly.

The problem I am having is this: the program works beautifully, except for the
fact that the ports that I have it running on occasionally hang.  The symptom
I am experiencing is: DTR goes low (which causes my modem to go offline), and
the autobaud program can be seen running by issuing a 'ps -txx' command (where
xx is the tty number of the port).  If I kill the process ID for the autobaud
program, everything resets and the port works as usual.

The maddening part of this whole problem is that there seems to be no rhyme or
reason as to why these ports hang.  I have even gone so far as to rewrite parts
of the program to watch for a low DTR signal on the port, and if so, to exit.
This change had little or no effect.

If anyone out there has had a similiar experience, or if anyone has any ideas,
I sure would like to hear them.

--
Mark Ehr c/o Polygon Network, Dillon, Colorado
Usenet: {uunet,isis}!polygon!mehr