tahoe's driver for uda50

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Thu Jul 14 05:03:15 AEST 1988

In article <8807130955.AA21029 at jade.berkeley.edu> yedidya at bimacs.BITNET
(Yedidya Israel) writes:
>... uVAX II with two disk controllers ... We have some problems of
>hanging-up and been told that BSD- uda50 driver is full of bugs which
>were (partly) solved in the 4.3-tahoe version.

The 4.3BSD-tahoe uda50 driver is (mostly) mine.  The only MicroVAX to
which I have access has only one controller, so I have not been able
to test this mysterious hang problem.  I have had one report that my
driver solves the problem, and one that it does not.

>Can anyone send me the source code of the 4.3-tahoe's version of the
>driver?

Before you can use the 4.3-tahoe driver, you need the new disk label
code.  To use the disk label code you need the new diskerr() routine.
You also need the new generic raw I/O code.  To use this you need the
new VM code.  To use the changes to the VM code, you need the new
core kernel code.  To use the new kernel code, you need the new machine
dependent code, and the new file system code.  And so on, and on....

Note that you can run the new kernel with the old binaries, modulo
the following exceptions (these are the ones I can think of offhand):

	/etc/disklabel (new) (needs C library additions)
	/etc/fsck (understands new fields in superblock; converts
		to and from new-style file system cylinder groups)
	/etc/newfs (builds new-style file systems, installs disk
		labels) (NB: kernel still supports old style FS)
	/etc/config (I think)
	/bin/make (VPATH now works and ${MACHINE} is new)

Nothing else comes straight to mind, although there are various bug
fixes in the compilers that could conceivably be important.