Unix optimized for SPARC?

Ron Holt ron at iconsys.UUCP
Fri Jul 1 01:14:09 AEST 1988

In article <3cf43568.d8e9 at apollo.uucp> gallen at diskless.UUCP (Gary Allen) writes:

>No one has called Sun or AT&T evil (although some people seem to believe
>them altruistic).

I disagree.  That seems to be exactly the implication of many articles I
have read on the net and in the press.  The first issue of Unix Today!
exhorts AT&T not to "go off with Sun and optimize Unix for SPARC." (p. 18).

>NOBODY IS IMPARTIAL!!

I agree.  But the OSF wasn't founded because of potential inadvertent
oversights on AT&T's part that might give them an advantage in the Unix
world.  I don't believe them "evil" either.  That's my point.  I'm trying
to refute the simple-minded idea that AT&T can intentionally direct the
evolution of Unix to the advantage of SPARC based machines.  Enough said.
--
Ron Holt                     UUCP: {uunet,caeco}!iconsys!ron
Software Development Manager ARPANET: icon%byuadam.bitnet at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Icon International, Inc.     BITNET: icon%byuadam.bitnet
Orem, Utah 84058             PHONE: (801) 225-6888