Task sync

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Wed Jul 27 00:57:44 AEST 1988

  I have a problem which requires running a number of similar programs,
then a final program. It's not a make, but the solution might be applied
there, too.

  I want to start up to N tasks, and when I try to start the N+1th task
I want to hang until at least one is done. I want to do this in a
portable way which will run of reasonable BSD and USG systems.

  I have a hack which more of less works under SysV using semiphores and
stuff, but it's not portable, and a real kludge. If someone can give me
a clue on a better way I'd be grateful.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)