grep replacement

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Jul 5 00:18:50 AEST 1988

As quoted from <1186 at mcgill-vision.UUCP> by mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse):
+---------------
| In article <8167 at ncoast.UUCP>, allbery at ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
| > As quoted from <5826 at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu> by randy at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Randy Orrison):
| >> In article <7962 at alice.UUCP> andrew at alice.UUCP writes:
| [ various things, originally about context grep.  But when replying,
|   ++Brandon (do you still use that name, Brandon?) says.... ]
| > (My /dev/stdin complaint earlier was [...] aimed at the person who
| > informed the entire Usenet that "hey, I posted a /dev/stdin driver
| > source for 4.2BSD, so not a one of you has any reason not to be
| > running it".  In other words, the usual 4.xBSD-source elitism.)
|
| However, if you check back and look at the original postings on this
| issue, the /dev/stdin point was first brought up as follows:
|
| > 22) support a filename of - to mean standard input.
| > 	a unix without /dev/stdin is largely bogus but as a sop to the poor
| > 	barstards having to work on BSD, gre will support -
| > 	as stdin (at least for a while).
|
| (This over Andrew Hume's signature.  He was explaining what features
| gre would support.)
|
| With phrasing like that, I can hardly blame Chris for rising to the
| defense of his driver.  And note the "BSD" phrase: that's the context
| in which Chris said there was no excuse for complaining about not
| having /dev/stdin.  And in that context, I agree with him.
|
| And there's no call for complaints about source elitism.  My /dev/stdin
| driver can be added to a binary distribution; surely Chris' can too.
+---------------

At least part of the confusion here comes from the fact that Andrew's nasty
comment (above) got here after Chris's comment; I thought he was just
exhibiting the rather degrading attitude toward binary System V sites that
I've had to put up with ever since I started reading this net.  (C'mon,
guys, if it didn't work I wouldn't be here!)

+---------------
| work on BSD.  There are two SysV-based machines here I can use whenever
| I feel like it; I find it extremely painful to try to do anything on
| them.  But you generally don't find me talking about "poor bastards who
| have to work on SysV", and you most certainly won't find me saying so
| in my postings to the entire net.)

You would appear to be in the minority.
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc