/dev/stdin

Joe Bob Willie haugj at pigs.UUCP
Tue Jul 19 04:01:22 AEST 1988

In article <12472 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
|>In artcile <12327 at mimsy.UUCP> Chris also wrote (re multiple compiler passes)
|>>... the first will be /lib/cpp, without output sent to a temp file ...
|
|In article <8241 at ncoast.UUCP> allbery at ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
|>May I remind everyone that nowhere does it state that Unix cc *must* have a
|>separate /lib/cpp?
|
|Okay:  `the first will be the preprocessor, with output sent to a temp file'.
|
|Happy?
|
|( :-) )

nope, still not happy.  the compiler doesn't even have to have a separate
pass which includes a preprocessor.  assuming the compiler itself can
parse the C source in one pass, the ``output'' of the preprocessor need
never be saved to a file.

as an example, the input function could return characters from a
preprocessorified buffer for such things as macro expansions, or straight
from the file, which might be either the normal input (c.c), or from
an include file.

any compiler which makes more than one pass over the source code should
be shot out of a cannon, so cc -c /dev/stdin.c should still work.  for
all reasonable values of cc. ;-)

- john.
--
 John "Evil USENET User" F. Haugh II          HECI Exploration Co, Inc., Dallas
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                            jfh at rpp386.UUCP :DOMAIN