UUCP (+ Re: filesystem allocation)

Stephen Samuel rroot at edm.UUCP
Thu Jul 14 05:27:33 AEST 1988

>From article <9661 at eddie.MIT.EDU>, by rich at eddie.MIT.EDU (Richard Caloggero):
>
>      Until we obtain our ethernet software, we are using UUCP to do
>      file transfers between our Domain ring and our Alliant Fx8.  Since
>
>      Now, the fun begins ...  I want to be able to use uux to set up
> remote command execution.  The problem is, I can't seem to get the
> command to start on the Alliant.  I can set up the command with uux,

One thing you have to do is allow the apollo to execute the commands
from uux.  In theory, this means you have to have an entry in your L.sys
(or Permissions) file for each legal command.  The other way around the problem
would be to enable sh and csh.
Your uux command would then be:

uux apollo!csh '<' command.list.file

Things get reall fun, though, if you want to use other files...
You'd have to uucp (put) them over first.

File space allocation (another article..) No: disk space is all global within
a file system.
 If you have 4 file systems mounted as / , /usr , /usr/dept , and /mnt.

removing a file from /mnt/a would make it's file space available anywhere
in /mnt (but not, for ex. in /usr). Similarly: removing something in
/usr/dept/x/y would make space avalable anywhere in /usr/dept/... , but NOT in
/usr/lib (which is on the /usr filesystem).
--
 Stephen Samuel
  or userzxcv at uofamts.bitnet