where to do line editing?

Bakul Shah bvs at light.uucp
Tue Jul 19 02:53:11 AEST 1988

In article <1457 at mcgp1.UUCP> fst at mcgp1.UUCP (Skip Tavakkolian) writes:

>Fortune System's port of the BSD4.X UN*X, which is called For:Pro, can perform
>a lot of fancy editing on input lines. This would not be apparent to the
>applications which do not use RAW mode.  So far as I can remember, the
>individual editing functions were requested/installed through specific
>IOCTL/SGTTY calls. Perhaps some of the people that worked on this could
>elaborate.

For:Pro is V7 with some 4.1 BSD hacks.  And no, it doesn't do
input line editing beyond what the 4.1 BSD tty driver did.
Fortune added scrolling controls (scroll {page, half page, line})
because the built-in display was much too fast (about 20 KBYTES
per second) for reading scrolling text.  Once activated these
controls can be disabled/enabled from the keyboard.

-- Bakul Shah <..!{ucbvax,sun,uunet}!amdcad!light!bvs>