Interactive Background Processes

Mike Stump aeusemrs at csuna.UUCP
Thu Jul 14 15:00:52 AEST 1988

In article <1988Jul13.001105.29472 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> woods at gpu.utcs.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
-In article <8029 at alice.UUCP> wilber at alice.UUCP writes:
--As a non-wizard (posting under false pretenses, I guess) it
--seems to me that if you have a version of Unix without job
--control or layers or the like the "poor man's solution" to
--this problem is to fire up Emacs, make as many shell
--buffers as you need, and run whatever you want in each
--one.  Of course the background process can't keep running
--after you log out.

--Bob Wilber

-Unfortunately, a Unix without job control, layers, or such
-will not provide the system facilities [sic] required for
-emacs to do the same.
-						Greg Woods.

One rule of of thumb, never rip someones head off, unless
you are sure you are right.  (Because someone like myself,
in defense of a person like Bob, might rip your head off.)

Bob is perfectly correct in this case, and does not need
correcting.  If I understand you correctly, you are just
plain wrong, if I do not, I would like a clarification on
the statement you made.
--
Mike Stump, Cal State Univ, Northridge Comp Sci Department
uucp: {sdcrdcf, ihnp4, hplabs, ttidca, psivax, csustan}!csun!csuna!aeusemrs