4.2BSD MFIND panic (AGAIN/STILL?)

Mike Urban urban at spp2
Tue Jul 26 07:46:49 AEST 1988

About six weeks ago, I requested help from this newsgroup:
our 4.2bsd system, to which we had just added two disk drives
and several new file systems, was crashing daily with an
MFIND panic.  Two kind souls directed me to change NMOUNT
and MSWAPX in param.h, and the size of the c_mdev field
in cmap.h (swiping the bit from the c_blkno field).  This
I have done, and matters did improve somewhat.  The system
in question now crashes with the MFIND panic on a weekly
basis rather than daily (actually, it is more like once in
ten days, but let that pass).  Is there another problem
here that must be fixed, or should I begin to suspect
hardware?  Thanks in proverbial advance.

(``Convert to 4.3bsd,'' regardless of its obvious correctness, is
not an acceptable answer, and will elicit an irritated response)
   Mike Urban
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"