UNIX-WIZARDS Digest V5#101

ted%nmsu.csnet at relay.cs.net ted%nmsu.csnet at relay.cs.net
Thu Jul 21 13:33:23 AEST 1988

Dave Hammond <daveh at marob.masa.com> writes:

    ... I am having so much fun correcting the grammar ...

First off, you were correcting spelling, not grammar.

I would like to ask Dave how many languages he can write even half as
well as Jay Jungalwala writes in English.  In particular, how many
that are not in the Germanic/Romance families.  I am just guessing,
but the odds are very good that JJ speaks 2-5 Indic languages, and can
probably read and write them in several orthographies, some following
sanskrit traditions (~1000 characters, left to right), and some
following arabic traditions (consonants only, written right to left
with very complicated calligraphic constraints).

In addition, it seems that JJ speaks very passable and understandable
English.  His spelling in nearly every case was due to assuming that
English suffixes are regular.

(if mister jungalwala is in fact a third generation american who
really is a terrible speller, please, nobody tell me).

FINALLY,

no, I think he is not looking for an explanation of how suid works,
not su itself.