I/O Processors & Smart Screens

Bruce Robertson bruce at Stride.COM
Sat Jul 9 07:25:21 AEST 1988

In article <1568 at yendor.UUCP> gmg at yendor.UUCP (Gary Godfrey) writes:
>Has anybody ever heard of or worked with a UN*X system that has
>a "smart" screen handler in an I/O processor?

Visual Technology and XPI are jointly developing an X Server terminal,
which qualifies as a "smart screen handler".  Also, I've worked with
systems which do some fairly high level things.  For example, you can
download a set of characters and a column number, and the reading
process won't be unblocked until either a character in the downloaded
set is typed, or the column number is reached.  This is useful for
programs like Emacs, to avoid context switches on every character
typed.
--

	Bruce Robertson
	MicroSage Computer Systems