"dd conv=unblock cbs=80 - really grep replacement"

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Sat Jul 9 07:27:29 AEST 1988

As quoted from <145 at insyte.UUCP> by jad at insyte.UUCP (Jill Diewald):
+---------------
| Ideally, grep could be passed a record size which it would use instead
| of newlines.  And/Or grep could be told to only search specified columns
| of every record.  This would enable me to easily deal with these files
| without tieing up either memory or disk space.

	dd if=... conv=unblock cbs=... | cut -c... | grep ...

(or replace "dd" with an unblocker program)

Cro-magnons win out over Neanderthals again.  ;-)

-> If you don't have "cut", that should tell you something.  What it tells
you depends on which variant of Unix you have.
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc