Input Line Editing

Jeff Siegal jbs at fenchurch.MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 14 13:23:03 AEST 1988

In article <23839 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>[...]if it's done as an intermediate process how
>does the process know when to step out of the way because a newly
>started job is doing its own style of input editing?

As Doug said, kernel support should be provided as necessary.  In this
case, provide a way for the intermediate process to determine (or be
told) that the terminal (perhaps a pseudo-terminal) has been switched
out of cooked mode.  As has already been pointed out, Emacs shell
buffers could use such a service to improve support for input editing.

Perhaps I missed this, but shouldn't the question be "How to provide
*better* input editing in Unix?"  The kernel already provides limited
editing capability in cooked mode, yes?

Jeff Siegal