Input Line Editing

Chris Calabrese[rs] cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com
Fri Jul 15 00:53:20 AEST 1988

In article <59768 at sun.uucp>, guy at gorodish.UUCP writes:
> I don't know what "the built-in editor on the NeWS windowing system" is (I
> I assume that the editor on the "layers" system is similar, in concept, to the
> one in an EMACS or Andrew typescript window, in that it takes what you type and

Nope, they're not line editors, but simple cut-and-paste mouse operations
which allow the user to cut from anywhere on the screen (from any window)
and send that cut segment as a keyboard-like input to any window.  Since
this type of thing is 90% of what I use Ksh editing for, it is just fine
with me.  Also, it's real useful when editing multiple files with vi.

> > As for editors, I'd love to see one included in the terminal driver.
>
> Gak.  *I*'d* love to see all line editing *removed* from the terminal driver,
> One advantage of *NOT* doing it in the kernel is that, as you pointed out, not
> everybody *does* want the same editor; if you put it in the kernel, users can't

I would like _vi_ in the kernel, but that's because
I like vi.  I guess I forgot the :-)'s.
--
	Christopher J. Calabrese
	AT&T Bell Laboratories