Can anybody tell me about /proc?

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Sat Jul 30 09:48:46 AEST 1988

Hi folks,

     A customer just upgraded from a 3B5 to a 3B15, and we're
now running SVR3.  This machine has the /proc filesystem, and
I would really love to hear a little about this.  I have a
pretty good idea about the general concepts and how it is
supposed to replace the whole ptrace mechanism, but I can't
find any docs in the system package to give me the details.
Can anybody fill me in on some of this?  I'll summarize what
I hear (I suspect others would be interested in this as well).
History/trivia notes are encouraged as well.

     Thanks,
     Steve
--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl