Interactive Background Processes

Bob Webber webber at porthos.rutgers.edu
Sat Jul 2 19:40:52 AEST 1988

In article <16365 at brl-adm.ARPA>, kvancamp at ardec.arpa (Ken Van Camp) writes:

> 	When running large, computationally-intensive programs (such as
> finite element codes, ray tracers, and other simulations), it is usually
> desirable to run the program in the background so the user is free to
> perform other tasks, logout, etc.  Unfortunately, under Unix, selecting
> background processing precludes interactivity in the software.

I have no problem backgrounding a process, getting a message saying that
it has stopped waiting for terminal input and foregrounding it to talk
to it.  On the Suns, gcore will get you a core dump of a running process
allowing you to interogate it using your favourite debugger. So your problem
should go away now that bsd and svid are merging.

---- BOB (webber at athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)