Interactive Background Processes

Greg Woods woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
Wed Jul 13 14:11:05 AEST 1988

In article <8029 at alice.UUCP> wilber at alice.UUCP writes:
>As a non-wizard (posting under false pretenses, I guess) it seems to me that
>if you have a version of Unix without job control or layers or the like the
>"poor man's solution" to this problem is to fire up Emacs, make as many shell
>buffers as you need, and run whatever you want in each one.  Of course the
>background process can't keep running after you log out.
>
>Bob Wilber   Work: UUCP: {allegra, mtune, ihnp4}!gauss!wilber
>                   ARPA: wilber at research.att.com

Unfortunately, a Unix without job control, layers, or such will not
provide the system facilities required for emacs to do the same.

Fortunately, one of these "features" usually exists in every version of
Unix, though that doesn't mean emacs will work with it properly.

Unfortuantely, only a true window manager for X or NeWS, or layers (not
shell-layers) on a DMD terminal, or something similar, are easy enough
to use.  None of these are usefull on a dumb terminal at 1200 baud,
though layers is nearly so, it's just the terminal isn't very cheap nor dumb.

--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{cpcc, ontmoh, ontmoh!cpcc, tmsoft!cpcc}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada