i/o redirection to a non-getty tty?

Andrew Valencia vandys at hpisoa1.HP.COM
Thu Jul 14 08:05:37 AEST 1988

/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.wizards / rwl at umree.UUCP /  9:20 am  Jul 12, 1988 /

	If I understand what you're doing (unlikely, admittedly :->),
your problem is that the initial baud rate of the TTY port (i.e., the
value it is set to on every initial open) isn't what you're expecting.
It's probably 300 baud, whereas your terminal wants 9600 or more.  Open
the TTY without modem control (for instance, on XENIX it's tty<num>a
instead of tty<num>A), then do an ioctl() to set the baud rate and other
parameters.  termio(7) will give you the details.  I have a simple terminal
routine which I use to connect out of a TTY port on System V--if you'd
like it as a starting point, drop me a note.  If you're running BSD 4.2/4.3,
then perhaps someone else can jump in, as I no longer have access to that
worthy.
			Good luck!
			Andy Valencia
			...!hplabs!hpisoa1!vandys