To Source or Not to Source (was lp/lpr interface)

Jon A. Tankersley zjat02 at apctrc.UUCP
Thu Jul 14 14:15:48 AEST 1988

In article <781 at cerebus.UUCP> ronc at cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:
>In article <16370 at brl-adm.ARPA> rbj at cmr.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>>? In article <16196 at brl-adm.ARPA> ronc at cerebus writes:
>>? >Well, with BSD, at least you have source.
>
>Last time I checked, source for 4.3 costs over twenty thousand.  (20K
>for the ATT license, and another 1K for the BSD tapes.)  Not every company
>will spring for that.

Twenty thou?  Must be black market.  AT&T is now selling SVID R3 for seventy-
seven thousand.  Makes it even harder for companies to spring for the source.

I got a related question for the non-vendor UNIX'ers.  How many non-vendor
sites really have a source license.  I've been fighting for about five years
(back when it was 43K) to get one, and I can't get anywhere.  I could use
some ammo :-).  I'd like to find out how many non-computer companies
have licensed UNIX.  I'd like to also yell at AT&T about splitting the rates
and adding a middle one for non-educational and non-computer.

In the bigger companies, lawyers tend to get involved and frown on some of
the license clauses.

I'd rather have email than postings.  I'll post a composite response (no names)
if I get more than 2 requests for such.

Thanx

-tank-
#include <disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */
--
#include <disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */