Input Line Editing

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.UUCP
Sun Jul 31 21:40:16 AEST 1988

As quoted from <1112 at ficc.UUCP> by peter at ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva):
+---------------
| In article <9677 at eddie.MIT.EDU>, nessus at wonko.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) writes:
| > There is another way to guarantee that line editing will be uniformly
| > supported.  (1) Provide an alternate, and better method.  (See my and
| > some other's previous articles on the issue).  (2) Remove line editing
| > completely from the kernal, forcing everyone to use the better method.
|
| (discussion of context switches required for kernel vs. user mode line
| editing deleted.  ++bsa)
|
| this isn't that much compared to what you Athena jockeys already do, but
| it'll kill us poor folks with "mere" vax-class machines and terminals, shared
| among a dozen users. Interactive response time will go to hell.
+---------------

When most of the time the users are in raw mode anyway (database forms
programs at most of our client sites; on ncoast it's usually nethack,
phantasia, and rn ;-) it's not much of a loss to run the other programs in
raw mode as well.  And no doubt you've seen the resistance to putting it in
the kernel (I once looked over the TOPS-20 manuals; I fully understand why
the COMND JSYS wasn't used more often).  Modulo stuff like streams modules
that will probably get me even more flames from kernel purists....

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc