Setuid on expreserve and exrecover

Randy_Davis rjd at occrsh.ATT.COM
Fri Jul 15 06:17:42 AEST 1988

In article <794 at pttesac.UUCP> robert at pttesac.UUCP (Robert Rodriguez) writes:
:Does anyone know the reason for /usr/lib/ex*preserve being
:set-user-id bin or root ?
:Ex*preserve is the program called by "vi" when a connection is
:dropped without having saved the contents of the vi buffer.
:Please e-mail me, and I'll summerize to the net if there is interest.

Email bounced, so:

Uh, yeah:  The setuid root or bin is so that the /usr/lib/expreserve
program can write the file in the directory /usr/preserve, which should be
owned by bin and mode 755, e.g.:

$ ls -ald /usr/expreserve
drwxr-xr-x   5 bin      bin           80 Mar 22 10:56 /usr/preserve

(Otherwise it would not be able to write to the directory....)

  In this way, only you (and root and bin) can remove any of your files
stored there, and only you can change them, as the files are normally
stored mode 600 or 700.
  "/usr/lib/exrecover" should be the same mode as expreserve so it can
retrieve them for you....

   To the person saying that its distributors should be shot: I do beleive that
the superuser bug has been fixed! (about eight years ago...)

Randy