motives for AT&T, etc (was re: att & osf)

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Sun Jul 31 06:22:13 AEST 1988

In article <12755 at mimsy.UUCP>, chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

>       Unix may win out over a technically superior O/S for a particular
>       application simply because most of the needed software already
>       exists.

Wow, I've never heard *that* about UNIX before :-).

One of the largest complaints about UNIX is that application
software is *not* available.  We've got compilers but not (say)
grocery store accounting systems, and there are many more of
"them" then there are of "us".

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl