/dev/stdin

Root Boy Jim rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov
Wed Jul 13 08:43:21 AEST 1988

   From: "Brandon S. Allbery" <allbery at ncoast.uucp>
   Date: 5 Jul 88 17:47:29 GMT

   As quoted from <16305 at brl-adm.ARPA> by rbj at cmr.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim):
   +---------------
   | Another (mis?)use is to compile programs from stdin. First, we do
   | `ln -s /dev/stdin x.c', then `cc -c x.c'. I'm sure one can find really
   +---------------

   Would this work?  I was under the impression that the C compiler made
   multiple passes over the source -- not useful if you build a pipe with

Multiple passes?

	rm /bin/cc
	/lib/cpp x.c | /lib/ccom | /lib/c2 | /bin/as -o x.o

Multiple passes, yes, but not over the original source.

   ln -s /dev/stdin x.c; (CProgramGenerator | cc -c x.c); rm x.c

   ++Brandon
   --
   Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	       For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	My name is in /usr/dict/words. Is yours?