new grep

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Fri Jul 1 06:06:10 AEST 1988

In article <58443 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
>> I would like grep to be able to ignore case.
>You already can, if you're running 4.0BSD or later (perhaps even earlier,
>although it's not documented in V7) or System V Release 2.0 or later.

Of course it didn't work right until you fixed the bug (which I picked
up for the BRL SysV emulation, but I haven't checked AT&T's current
"grep" sources).

By the way, this is another case where separate tools might be better.
There are languages (and character sets) for which "case" is not a
relevant concept.  And even the fast case mapping code from 4BSD (which
again Guy put into the SVR2 version and I picked it up for ours, but
don't know about AT&T's current version) still adds some degree of
overhead that is wasteful in the usual case.