UUCP

rich at mit-eddie.UUCP rich at mit-eddie.UUCP
Wed Jul 13 06:03:51 AEST 1988

     Ok all you UUCP wizards, here's one for you!  I know you're out
there ...

     Until we obtain our ethernet software, we are using UUCP to do
     file transfers between our Domain ring and our Alliant Fx8.  Since
we are only communicating with one remote sise (actually, it ain't so
remote) and its our own machine, I have set things up a bit differently
than one might otherwise.  Essentially, we only allow requests to be
initiated from the Apollo net, since we don't have enough resources to
dedicate an sio port on an Apollo.  We define 2 operations: get_file
(get file(s) from Fx8), and send_file (Apollo -> Fx8).  Both use the
uucp command to queue the specified set of files, then the program
creates a process on the Apollo node which contains the sio port used
to communicate with the Alliant, and starts uucico to do the transfer.
When uucico has successfuly started, {get,send}_file returns to the
shell.  When uucico finishes, it uses write(1) to send a message to the
user who started it.

     Now, the fun begins ...  I want to be able to use uux to set up
remote command execution.  The problem is, I can't seem to get the
command to start on the Alliant.  I can set up the command with uux,
and uucico seems to send the correct files over to the Alliant, but
nothing happens on the Alliant, and I can't find the data which was
suposedly sent to the Alliant.  I thought I found something when I
discovered that a core dump was being left in "/usr/spool/uucp/XTMP" on
the Alliant.  I checked the permissions on this directory, and found
that world didn't have "w" rights.  When I gave world "w" rights, the
core dump didn't happen, but then again, nothing else did either!  Any
Idea as to what's gone wrong?  ( I keep seeing references to a
directory called "/usr/spool/uucp/X.apolloX", but its not their on
either machine, and I can't seem to find anything in the manual that
would indicate a need for that directory. )

--   --   --   --   --   --   --   --   --   --

     Ok, this is realy frustrating!  As far as I can tell, everything
is being set up properly for remote command execution, but nothing
hapens. Also, I keep getting "xqt denied" messages is "LOGFILE".  I
checked "L.cmds", and the "who" command is definately in that file.
The command "uux 'sun!who >/users/rich/who.sun'" doesn't execute on sun
(the Fx8).  Help!!!!!!!!!!

     Thanx for your help.  Please mail responses to me.  I'll re-post a
summary if it seems appropriate.

--
						-- Rich (rich at eddie.mit.edu).
	The circle is open, but unbroken.