BSD/SunOS Reference

George W. Leach reggie at pdn.UUCP
Fri Jul 8 00:07:15 AEST 1988

In article <16398 at brl-adm.ARPA>, Pabbisetty.Henr at xerox.com writes:
> I am familiar with the following book explaining the "internals"
> of System V UNIX:
>
>     Maurice J. Bach
>     The Design of the UNIX Operating System
>     Prentice-Hall
>

> Is there a publication (BSD/Sun Internal reports OR otherwise) that expalins
> the other versions of UNIX at least half as the aforementioned book for AT&T?

      Due out in the fall will be a similar book on 4.3 BSD.  The authors are
John Quarterman, Mike Karels, and Kirk McKusick.  I don't recall exactly who
the publisher is, but Prentice-Hall seems to be the most likely choice.

      Perhaps one of the authors would like to let us know the current status
of the book.  The availability date of the fall was related to me quite some
time ago and may not be accurate anymore.

      Right now the best available source of information on BSD UNIX is:

	John S. Quarterman, Abraham Silberschatz, and James L. Paterson,
	4.2BSD and 4.3BSD as Examples of the UNIX System,
	ACM Computing Surveys, 17(4), December, 1985, pp. 379-418.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207