Unix optimized for SPARC? (really just more OSF babble)

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Thu Jul 7 00:47:25 AEST 1988

I am a believer in letting the market decide. Therefore I urge ATT to
reinstate the practice of releasing UNIX for VAX. I would also like to
see Amdahl make the SRV4 available in a form which would run on the
large IBM iron (or ATT if Amdahl doesn't). Maybe ATT could contract
someone to do the port to Apollo, too. OSF seems to say that they want
open competition, so ATT should assist them by offering SRV4 for all of
the commercially significant machines made by OSF members.

Of course if OSF was willing to recognize the existence of competing
machines they could offer IAX for the Suns and 3B series, but I can't
imagine that happening.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)