Magic symlink syntax

Andy Glew aglew%fang at xenurus.gould.com
Thu Jun 16 06:05:38 AEST 1988

..> The namei hack - variable substitution in filenames or
..> symlinks.

If you are willing to restrict yourself to very heavyweight
environments, eg. BSD/SV system wide rather than each user
individually, then you can get the same effect using symlinks,
boxes, and something like an NFS self mount.

Eg. create a single filesystem with all the important directories
like /bin symlinks to /ENVIRONMENT/bin, for example.
Create two environments, /sv containing /sv/ENVIRONMENT
and /bsd...
    NFS mount onto your own machine all the files and filesystems
that would be below /, to beneath /sv and /bsd.
    Finally, chroot (with all appropriate caveats) to /sv or /bsd
depending on which environment the user wanted to live in.

Ain't it horrible?

Don't worry, we don't do anything like that.

Andy "Krazy" Glew. Gould CSD-Urbana.    1101 E. University, Urbana, IL 61801
    aglew at gould.com     	- preferred, if you have MX records
    aglew at xenurus.gould.com     - if you don't
    ...!ihnp4!uiucuxc!ccvaxa!aglew  - paths may still be the only way

My opinions are my own, and are not the opinions of my employer, or any
other organisation. I indicate my company only so that the reader may
account for any possible bias I may have towards our products.