grep replacement

Frank Rahmani fmr at cwi.nl
Thu Jun 16 20:42:28 AEST 1988

> In article <8012 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> A real useful `tool', this, that works only on files.  And only when
> you grep more than one file, so you get filenames (or happen to be able
> to remember which flag it is to make grep print filenames always,
> assuming of course that your grep has it).
that's the smallest of all problems, just include /dev/null as first
file to be searched
into your script like
grep [options] pattern /dev/null one_or_more_filenames
by the way I like the sed one-liner that
was posted as answer to the grep replacement
question. Why couldn't I think of it?:-)
fmr at cwi.nl
--
It is better never to have been born. But who among us has such luck?