How good is Apollo UNIX? (was: O'pain Software Foundation: (2))

Charles L Ditzel benoni at ssc-vax.UUCP
Sat Jun 25 02:01:29 AEST 1988

in article <2038 at ssc-vax.UUCP>, benoni at ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) says:
> on a aegis sidelight...
> The Aegis side of tar is a command called "rbak".   Apollo sells their
> system with these 5 1/4 floppies and you can use the rbak command to
> write to the floppy however they have a wonderful disclaimer in their
> docs cautioning you that error detection (during reads and writes)
> with rbak and floppies is "poor". They tell you not to place any
> critical or unrecoverable data on the floppy.

i meant wbak (i was thinking about another feature of rbak ...i was
also reading the rbak man page at the time of writing) when I was writing
the description the brain mis-fired :-).  do a mental substitution of
wbak for every ocurrance of rbak in the above.  thanks.

another Apollo Unix sidelight :
in chmod -
	Apollo calls it a feature of Domain memory management, you need
	read permission to execute a file...okay...however if you type
		chmod 111 foo
	you wind up getting :
		-r-xr-xr-x  owner

	Basically giving execute to the owner and anyone else you
	give read permissions.

	If you give it
		chmod 222 foo
	you will not get -w--w--w-
	rather you get :
			-rw-rw-rw
	So they also give read rights to the owner also.

------
Naturally my opinions are my own.